Monday, August 07, 2006

Toxic Logs?



As well as the pots I found lot's of logs in a council clean up. I hoped to use them as the barrier for a no-dig garden. When I brought them home I was doing some research on no-dig gardens and found that these logs may have some toxic chemicals in them.

Most have been treated with a rot-resistant chemical which may be toxic. From what I have read so far it seems that although the chemical is toxic, it generally doesn't leak far. Anyway, it won't be used in this garden.

They way to tell is to look for the yellow / green colouring to the logs. The picture doesn't show it well, but the logs on top and bottom right have that distinctive colour. The larger rounded logs may also be toxic, but have been weathered so much it's difficult to tell.

No comments: